There is absolutely nothing like taking your kids to their favorite ice cream spot. The taste and experience of ice cream is reminiscent of all things summer. Baby D and I have been trying to deny the fact that summer is coming to an end so we’ve kind of been on an ice cream, gelato, Italian Ice taste test. Here’s are the top 10 ice cream spots to try in Orange County. Little known fact--I used to work at a Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream when I was a wee little one, so this ice cream list was carefully curated by a refined, seasoned ice cream palate. I got your back.
1) After’s Ice Cream in Fountain Valley is known for the Milky Bun--a glazed or non-glazed donut filled with ice cream and toppings. Unique flavors like Cookie Butter and Milk & Cereal are decadent and nostaligic.
2) N’ice Cream in Costa Mesa serves up organic gelato and sorbet. They serve small scoops for the health-conscious. They make fresh natural flavors like lemon olive oil & raspbery basil.
3) Sprinkle’s Ice Cream in Newport Beach is pretty wonderful if your an avid Sprinkle’s cupcake lover. Get an ice cream sundae topped with cupcake crumbles or a cupcake topper. And you can’t forget the red velvet ice cream cone!
4) Farrell’s Ice Cream Parlour is an ode to the old school soda fountain and ice cream parlour. They have tons of different ice cream sundae choice as well as non-traditional, gluttonous ice cream items like Ice Cream Nachos, waffle cone “chips” covered in ice cream, hot fudge, caramel, whipped cream, and nuts.
5) Popbar in Anaheim isn’t technically ice cream, but it’s just as good. Fresh made gelato, sorbet, or frozen yogurt popbars are dipped in chocolate and toppings of your choice. Add toppings like hazelnuts, caramel corner, waffle cone and more.
6) Confetti Italian Ice & Custard in Costa Mesa is the perfect combo of cool Italian ice and creamy custard. There are tons of parfait combo options like Oreo Cookie Batter with Vanilla Custard.
7) Hula Girls Shave Ice in Huntington Beach has yummy tropical shave ice flavors like Hawaiian Sunset (guave, mango, pineapple, lilikoi & strawberry) are refreshing and simple. What I love most about Hula Girls Shave Ice is the Dole Whip! Just like at Disneyland--pineapple ice cream with apineapple juice float.
8) Han’s Homemade Ice Cream in Santa Ana & Anaheim has traditional, yet super creamy ice cream with flavors. Try Butter Pecan, Swiss Orange Chip and Banana Nut Chocolate Chunk on a waffle cone.
9) Gelato Paradiso in Laguna Beach is the spot if your looking for authentic Italian gelato. They’re flavors and simple, yet rich. If your a Nutella lover, try Niocciola (Hazelnut) or Gianduia (Milk Choclate Hazelnut).
10) Creamistry in Irvine is the coolest way to see the science of ice-cream making. Choose your ice cream base, flavor and toppings and watch chemistry in the making. They use liquid nitrogen to prepare your own custom ice cream right before your eyes!