When it comes to design, I have a constant need to switch things up all the time. The current design of Baby D's room is very simple-white walls with bright blue aquarium and animal prints from the Academy of Sciences in San Francisco. Since art prints can be pricey I busted out the mod podge and created some fresh new wall art to change up Baby D's room. This project was inspired from a Pinterest print that I fell head over heels IN LOVE with. Here's my Pinspiration:
I've actually been meaning to do this for awhile now and am so happy I finally got around to it! I plan on doing a series of inspirational quotes on canvas for Baby D's room as a reminder of how much he means to us. Here's a tutorial of my "You Are My Sunshine" mod podge wall art:
- Black Vinyl Letter Stickers
- Mod Podge (Original Matte)
- Sponge Brush
- Pattern/Printed Paper of your Choice
- Yellow Cardstock
- Grey Cardstock
- Black Sharpie
1. Place your patterned paper on top of the canvas and cut accordingly to the canvas size.
2. Stick vinyl stickers onto the patterned paper. "You Are My Sunshine" :)
3. Trace or freehand a cloud using the grey cardstock. Trace or freehand a sun out of the yellow cardstock (don't make fun of me. I pick up my drawing skills from my two year old)
4. Cut out your cloud and sun. Glue to the top of the patterned paper with a think layer of mod podge.
Add a happy face on your sun and cloud if you please :)
5. Apply a think layer of mod podge to the canvas AND to the back of the patterned paper. Stick together and remove any air bubbles by running a credit card on the surface to make completely flat.
6. Apply a thick layer of mod podge to the front of the paper to seal everything in. Let the canvas dry for 15-20 minutes then apply a second coat of mod podge. Be sure to mod podge the sides of the canvas as well. Don't worry if it looks a little streaky and white, it will dry clear.
7. Once completely dry, hang to perfection!
Loved how it turned out, minus the minor air bubbles. I recommend smoothing out with a credit card several times before sealing the top. Mod podge wall art is such a simple and creative way to update your space!